GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
VIRTUAL MEETING: July 22thfrom 4-5 pm Eastern time
To review minutes & recordings from previous meetings, see Meeting Minutes here.
Meetings are held virtually on a quarterly basis.
AGENDA (to add agenda items, contact Laura Koenig)
ALA Recap - Camden
- Small LSYC networking/get together meeting (6 in attendance, most interested in more information about our group)
- Camden attended LSID meeting (our adult equivalent – very well attended)
- Tour of juvenile facility (semi-tour), very well attended. No library space yet at the facility and tour was brief due to size of group – saw some of the educational facilities.
- Joe attended a Social Responsibility roundtable to talk about In The Margins, to see if the group would potentially be interested in co-sponsoring the ITM booklist. Looks like it might not work
ASCLA Monday meeting recap – Jeanie
- Standards committee moving ahead right now, working on revisions and soon to work on proposal to submit to ASCLA
YALSA Interest group
- Joe spoke with Beth Yoke from YALSA about forming a potential interest group
- Interdivisional interest group was proposed – between YALSA and ASCLA, folks could be members of either, or do not have to be members of either, unless they would like to actively participate in the group. Can build membership without conflicting with both groups.
- Joe will follow program proposal procedures regarding YALSA/ASCLA interest group
- Camden: Standards revision is a way for ASCLA to make money, so unlikely they will share that responsibility with YALSA
- YALSA members on ITM? Joe believes there are some.
How to get involved with LYSC
Reports from each of the LSYC committees:
ASCLA Interest group – Camden attended parts of the meetings due to overlap with others
- They are still aware we want to write the standards
- Looking for people to present webinars (See Camden’s email)
- Programs for next year at annual (we have missed the deadline, but may still be able yo submit!), so if you have any, contact Camden
- TOUR: should we have this “off the books” for people currently involved in service to correctional facilities, or open it to all? Decision was made to compromise by keeping the tour in the ALA registration system but reserving a certain number of seats for LSYC members.
In the Margins – Joe
- 22 titles nominated so far
- Please bring any potential nominations to the ITM committee, including small press, indie publishers and dealing with subject matter relevant to this award.
- Form: http://www.youthlibraries.org/margins-book-award-selection-committee
- New committee members being sought for the coming year – if interested, can contact Joe or Amy Cheney
Website – Camden
- Staffing changes at state, so Camden shorthanded. Problems handling spam members, which has created problems. Please email Camden directly if you haven’t heard a response from your initial request to join.
Standards – Jeanie
- Timeline: Standards should be ready to share with LSYC by late September
- Suggestions of helpful people are welcomed, please send to Jeanie or post to the list
YALSA – Joe
- More information on interdivisional work group to come shortly
Discussion of any proposals received – No proposals received
2014 Membership Meeting Dates:
- October (Date and Time, TBA)
*Note: If you have a proposal to make to the LYSC membership, please review proposal guidelines here!