In the Margins strives to find the best books for teens living in poverty, on the streets, in custody - or a cycle of all three!
Committee membership and requirements:
7 to 11 member committee (including Chair and Administrative Assistant)
• two full year commitment, with option to renew for a second year term. Timeline for first year: Jan 2015 - Jan 2016
• research, request and nominate titles, with an emphasis on ones that are self-published, independently published or published by small presses
• read for special content for detention facilities
• read all nominated titles
• work with or do outreach to youth in custody and/or from street culture and get feedback from at least 3-10 teens on each title
• actively participate in email and wiki discussions
• meet all posted deadlines
• meet 6 times a year via video conferencing
Our Nomination Process:
• Before a book can be nominated (or removed from consideration for our list), two members must read and agree the book fits our charge (or does not).
• Each committee member reads each book and solicits youth feedback.
• Each book is discussed and voted onto the official list.
Our Voting Process:
Our second year voting process will take place 1/23/14 and awards announced on 2/4/15 and 2/18/15.
Our first year voting took place January 21, 2014 - (info provided just to make clear it was before other awards were announced). Books were broken down into categories by publisher size, and we ranked our choices. See our voting ballot
Access to Wiki/Book discussions:
If you are a librarian (and/or person) serving youth in custody and would like access to the wiki in order to read the discussions about up and coming titles, request access here
. Please provide your name and where you work in order to be granted access.
The committee is now OPEN
. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please fill out the application